Millions of people suffer from low back pain everyday. While some people have a specific injury which caused their pain, many people complain of back pain that began with no apparent injury. In many cases the pain gets better in time, but reoccurs over and over again for no apparent reason.
Some conditions that can result in lower back pain include: sprained ligaments, strained muscles, ruptured disks, inflamed joints and sciatica. Sciatica can then refer pain into the buttock, hip leg and foot, depending on the severity. Many of these causes, if left untreated, can be quite serious. The doctors at Butler-Townsend Chiropractic can diagnosis the cause and determine the proper treatment for your low back pain.
- Get regular exercise.
- Strive to keep your weight within a healthy range.
- Reduce stress in your life wherever possible.
- Stress can cause muscle tension and spasms.
- If you smoke, try to stop. Smoking increases your risk because your blood has trouble delivering oxygen to working tissues, making your back weaker.
- Try to maintain the natural curve of your back throughout the day.
- Wear comfortable and well-supporting shoes.
- Sleep on a comfortable and supportive mattress. If you sleep on your side, place a pillow between your knees.
- When driving, adjust your seat properly so that arms are relaxed and bent to the steering wheel.